Welcome to Part Two of our series on prepping your home for fall! This week we’re going to switch our focus to the exterior of your home, which needs a little TLC, too. If you missed Part One of our series, where we focus on prepping the interior of your home for fall, don’t worry! Catch up right here: Fall Home Maintenance Projects. This week, let’s tackle all your exterior fall home maintenance projects.
Exterior Fall Home Maintenance Projects: The Outside.
Now is a great time to take advantage of the nice weather while it’s still here and prep the outside of your home for the coming colder months. Here’s a breakdown of the basics:
- Clean and store your outdoor furniture – Harsh temperatures can really take a toll on your outdoor furniture. Save your investment! Scrub with a brush and a cleaning solution, such as Goo Gone Patio Furniture Cleaner, available at Bed Bath & Beyond and Amazon. Wipe around the furniture with the Goo Gone and a rag, paying special attention to the feet and legs. I’ve found spider nests tucked away on mine in those spots. You’ll want to get rid of those before you bring them into storage. Bring your pieces made of fabric out of the elements after cleaning them, too.
- Paint touch ups – Look around and check areas that may need a little paint. Direct sun, heat, and age can dull or chip your paint. Prep with a wire brush to remove flaking paint, then prime if necessary. Touch-up window sills, shutters, railings, etc.
- Clean your gutters – Debris can find it’s way into your gutters and downspout in the summer, so grab a ladder, some gloves, and scoop out anything that’s collected since you last cleaned. Installing a gutter filter can be a smart investment: keep the debris out of your gutter and save you the job of climbing up on a ladder and cleaning it out. (Climbing on ladders is not my favorite thing.)
- Wash outside windows – Invest in a window washing kit (about $22.00 at Home Depot) or hire a local professional. Help the local economy and support hometown business owners. We like Lusk Window Cleaning.
- Check for drafts – Consider installing weather stripping on drafty suspects like garage doors, windows, and glass doors.
- Take care of your hoses – Drain your hoses and store them. When your hoses freeze it shortens their life. You spent money on it, make it last!
Ready to Cozy Up for Fall?
With cooler weather just around the corner, having your home all set and ready means you can relax come the first snowfall, and enjoy the turning of the seasons!